Inspiring Facilities - Learning will happen everywhere
Our new inspiring facilities will support teaching and learning at STS, and will meet the current and future needs of our students. The new stimulus-rich spaces will encourage student-directed, collaborative learning. Construction priorities are:
A new Elementary Wing to welcome our youngest learners into a flexible learning environment where teaching best practice is optimized. Highlights include:
- flexible spaces will enable teachers to incorporate a wider variety of activities to better align instruction with learning styles
- bright, open and warm spaces will enhance student comfort and increase the sense of belonging within each learning community
- Da Vinci studios that allow for innovative, creative project work that may be messy
- first-ever STS Kindergarten classroom
Expanded Fine and Performing Arts spaces to meet the creative needs of students with facilities and technology conducive to artistic expression. Highlights include:
- acoustically optimized band and choral rooms will enhance students’ musical performancesa purpose-built drama room
- larger visual arts spaces will allow students to work on projects over time
- small group and individual rehearsal rooms
A new Heart of the School to create a warm welcome to our STS campus.
Purposeful landscaping for learning to enrich educational opportunities offered by nature on our country campus.
To view the new construction floor plans click here.
Our new facilities were designed to mirror the beautiful Canadian Rockies and Foothills surrounding the school’s 200-acre campus.
Watch our Inspiring Facilities video to learn more:
Watch the Progress!
Construction on the new Inspiring Facilities began on June 21, 2016 and is expected to be completed in the Fall of 2017. Our webcam keeps track of every step along the way by capturing a photo every 10 minutes. Here is the latest time lapse video of the progress!
Our Ground Breaking Ceremony was a momentous occasion in our school's history:
Inspiring Learning - Faculty Testimonials
“The insightful and exciting architectural design supports current educational research. It has created unique and flexible learning spaces to meet the diverse learning needs of children. This new facility will bring the curriculum alive to facilitate and empower students to be creative and innovative in their learning now and in the future.” Mrs. Sharon Gibson, Elementary School Principal
"It's time for a face lift. There has been so much research on how students learn better and our facility needs to reflect that. With these enhancements what we will have at Strathcona-Tweedsmuir School is a state-of-the art fine and performing arts facility – probably the best in North America." Mr. Brian Uzick, Band and Film Studies teacher